Browse Items (9 total)

/websites/chnm/workspace/tinnerhill/Uploads/Tinner Hill 059.jpg
James Lee School with old two room school in background. The old school was in the location of the new school and it was moved.

/websites/chnm/workspace/tinnerhill/Uploads/Tinner Hill 013.jpg
Teachers sitting on steps at the James Lee Colored School, Lola Saunders and Mary Ellen Henderson, teacher and principal Women in Front of School

/websites/chnm/workspace/tinnerhill/Uploads/Tinner Hill 031.JPG
Page from pamphlet regarding Methodist Conference at James Lee School

/websites/chnm/workspace/tinnerhill/Uploads/Tinner Hill 026.JPG
A newspaper clipping describing the opening of James E. Lee School.

/websites/chnm/workspace/tinnerhill/Uploads/Tinner Hill 024.JPG
Mary Ellen Henderson's retirement from teaching. According to the article, the two room school house (Fall Church Colored School) opened in 1887. The photograph should be cropped out because it from her 1950 retirement, after 31 years of teaching.

A collaborative project between: African and African American Studies, George Mason University, and the Tinner Hill Heritage Foundation. Funding was provided in part by the National Trust for Historic Preservation.